Home » Health Advocacy » Poison Control Center » For Kids

For Kids

What is poison?

Anything that can make you sick if you eat, drink, touch or smell it is a poison. Even if it is pretty, or has a nice color or smells good. Sometimes things that look or smell good can make a kid very sick.

Products that parents, older family and friends use every day may be dangerous for a kid to use, including cleaning supplies, supplies for arts and crafts, make-up, things in the garage or basement, some plants, and even foods if they aren’t stored or cooked right. Even adults sometimes get confused about the right way to handle all the things in the house, garage and garden that can possibly make us sick. So, always check with an adult if you aren’t absolutely sure that something is safe.

If you ever become afraid you or a friend has eaten or touched something that may have poisoned you, and a parent or other adult aren’t around, you can call 1-800-222-1222 anytime, day or night, to talk to a nurse or doctor about what happened. If it is an emergency and you think that someone is very sick and needs a doctor right away, call 9-1-1 first.


What kind of appointment would you like?