» Audiology (Speech/Language Pathology)
The Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology and Audiology at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan at the Detroit Medical Center is the largest practice specializing in pediatric management and treatment of hearing loss and speech/language disorders in Michigan’s tri-county area (Oakland, Wayne & Macomb). The team is dedicated to the early identification of hearing and speech disorders, as well as treating children with the utmost care to maximize their potential for success.
Children’s Hospital of Michigan’s Speech Pathology and Audiology Departments work together with Children's Hospital of Michigan’s pediatric ear, nose, and throat physicians in order to provide the most efficient care to each and every child. This provides parents with the comfort and convenience of working with a group of doctors and specialists on staff who, together as a team, provide the best treatment for their child.
Audiologists at Children’s Hospital of Michigan specialize in evaluating, diagnosing, and managing any type or degree of hearing loss for children ages 0-21 years. Services include newborn hearing screening, standard audiological testing for children of any age, dispensing of hearing aids, cochlear implants, and bone anchored hearing aids (BAHA). Special testing options are offered for the most difficult to test populations. The Children's Hospital of Michigan Audiology team strives to create a personal relationship with each and every family. The compassionate care demonstrated by the audiologists helps families to feel completely comfortable with the services their child is receiving. The department aspires to provide parents of children with hearing loss all the resources needed to obtain the most successful outcome possible.
Audiology services include:
- Evaluating, diagnosing, and managing all types and degrees of hearing loss from birth to 21 years of age.
- Full audiological evaluation of children newborn to 18 years of age, and up to 21 years of age for hearing impaired patients.
- Initial and/or follow up newborn hearing screening.
- NOTE: the state of Michigan only allows 2 screens to be done before diagnostic testing must be completed (ABR).
- Diagnostic auditory brainstem response testing (ABR)
- Non-sedated ABR
- Sedated ABR
- >3 months of age
- Evaluation and management for hearing aids.
- Evaluation and management for cochlear implants
- Evaluation and management for bone anchored hearing aids (BAHA).
- Dispensing and maintaining hearing aids, cochlear implants and bone anchored hearing aids.
- Custom and non-custom swim plugs and hearing protection.
Speech-Language Pathology services include :
- Complete diagnostic and treatment services are provided for children with:
- Language disorders and delays including nonverbal behavior
- Speech production problems
- Voice disorders
- Speech fluency disorders
- Resonance disorders for children with cleft palate
- Feeding and swallowing disorders including bedside, clinical and video-fluoroscopic studies
- Hearing impairment
, Clinton Township
Audiology/Speech Services: (313) 745-8903
3901 Beaubien Blvd
3rd Floor, Carls Building
Detroit, MI 48201