Children’s Hospital of Michigan Autism Center is pleased to provide services for families affected by autism and offers a number of programs including:
Comprehensive Evaluation By A Multidisciplinary Team of Experts
The core evaluation consists of psychological, neurological and speech and language exams. Additional specialists for genetics, gastroenterology and sleep related issues will be consulted as appropriate. Treatment includes medical and behavioral intervention, applied behavior analysis.
There are generally three appointments for the psychological evaluation. The first is the diagnostic interview with the parents and psychologist only without the child. The second is direct testing of the child with the parent present. The third is a feedback session for the parents and the psychologist without the child.
Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy
- Early Intensive Intervention Program-Children Ages 2-6
- A half day one-on-one therapy (9a.m.-11:30 a.m., or 11:30 a.m..-2:00 p.m. or 5:30 - 7:30 P.M.)
- Full day one-on-one-therapy (9a.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
- Comprehensive Intervention-through 10 years of Age
- Half day (5:30 p.m.-7:30p.m.)
- Behavioral Consultation and Treatment Planning
- Master's level applied behavior analysts work with families, schools and other community organizations to provide behavioral intervention and education for children of any age with any disability.
The Children’s Hospital of Michigan Autism Center is committed to involvement in research studies to further our knowledge base and improve care for children and families affected by autism. We are currently enrolling in the Buspirone Study.
Education and Training
- Parent education seminars are offered at low cost to provide general information. Seminars include the following topics: parent behavior challenges, early intervention, toileting, sleep issues and feeding issues.
- Organizational education seminars are available to the educational/medical community to provide information about best practices in the evaluation and treatment for families affected by autism.
- Bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral students participate in practicum programs to get quality training in evaluation and care of families affected by autism. The Children's Hospital of Michigan Autism Center is an approved site for BCBA Certification.
- The Center is also a training site for the pediatric residency training program.
Click here for further information on the program.