Recent publications and abstract presentations by fellows (Past 5 years):
- Arora H, Abdel-Haq N. A 14-Year-Old Boy with Swelling on His Forehead . Pediatric Annals. (In press)
- Zegarra-Linares R, Ang J, Khan F, Asmar B, McGrath E. A Teenager Patient with Recurrent Pulmonary Abscesses. J Ped Infect Dis first published online October 6, 2013
- Arora H, Chiwane S, Abdel-Haq N, Valentine K, Lephart P, Asmar B. Invasive late-onset group B streptococcus infection in twins manifesting as cellulitis-adenitis caused by the same strain. 43rd Critical Care Congress. San Francisco, CA. January 9-13, 2014
- Gupta S, Sakhuja A, Ang J. Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection and associated risk factors in childbearing females: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2009-2010. Poster presentation at 2014 St. Jude/PIDS Pediatric Infectious Diseases Research Conference, Memphis, TN. Feb 19- 23, 2014
- Joshi S, Misra A, Gupta S, Abdel-Haq N. Toothpick Tumor: Foot actinomycetoma and osteomyelitis. Poster presentation at the 13th Annual Pediatric Research Day, Lansing, MI. March 19, 2014.
- Arora H, Asmar B, Rubenstein M, Yaddanapudi R, Abdel-Haq N. Breakthrough pulmonary mucormycosis in a teenager with leukemia successfully treated with amphotericin B and posaconazole without surgery Poster presentation at 27th annual meeting of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Chicago, IL. May 14-17, 2014
- Gupta S, Sakhuja A, McGrath E, Asmar B. Trends and Microbiology of Infective Endocarditis in Children during 2000-2010 in United States. Accepted for poster presentation for ID week, October 2014.
- Hazar Kobaya, Joseph Damachoske and Basim Asmar.2009 H1N1 Influenza AInfection and Upper Respiratory Cytokine Response: “The Game of the Shadows”. IDWeek 2012 (IDSA), October 17-21, San Diego, CA. Platform presentation. Dr. Kobayaa won the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society Fellows’ Research Award for her research work and presentation.
- Zegarra-Linares R, Ang JY, Khan F, Asmar B, McGrath, E. Hyper Immunoglobulin E Syndrome (Job’s Syndrome) with recurrent pulmonary abscesses. Accepted at the ID Week October 2012 Fellows’ Day Case Presentation. San Diego, California.
- Hazar Kobaya and Basim Asmar. "Novel H1N1 Influenza A Infection: Comparing the Local Production of Inflammatory Mediators in Children to Adults", abstract #752558, to the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies' Annual Meeting, April 28-May 1, 2012, in Boston, Massachusetts.
Recent Publications (Division members):
- Rongkavilit C, Wang B, Naar-King S, Bunupuradah T, Parsons JT, Panthong A, Koken JA, Saengcharnchai P, Phanuphak P. Motivational interviewing targeting risky sex in HIV-positive young Thai men who have sex with men. Archives of Sexual Behavior 2014; Epub ahead of print 3/26/2014.
- Rongkavilit C, Naar-King S, Koken JA, Bunupuradah T, Chen X, Saengcharnchai P, Panthong A, Parsons JT. A feasibility study of motivational interviewing for health risk behaviors among Thai youth living with HIV.Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 2014; 25: 92-97 (Epub ahead of print 2/8/2012).
- Rongkavilit C, Naar-King S, Wang B, Panthong A, Bunupuradah T, Parsons JT, Phonphithak S, Koken JA, Saengcharnchai P, Phanuphak P. Motivational interviewing targeting risk behaviors for youth living with HIV in Thailand. AIDS and Behavior 2013; 17: 2063-2074.
- Dimitrios Doganis, Basim Asmar, Maxim Yankelevich, Ronald Thomas and Yaddanapudi Ravindranath. Predictive Factors for Blood Stream Infections in Children with Cancer. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Early Online:1–13, 2013 Aug;30(5): 403-15. PMID:23521175
- Dimitrios Doganis, Basim Asmar, Maxim Yankelevich, Ronald Thomas, and Yaddanapudi Ravindranath. How Many Sources Should Be Cultured for the Diagnosis of a Blood Stream Infection in Children with Cancer? Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, 2013, Aug;30(30(5):416-24. PMID:23570564
- Deepti P. Bhat, MD, Lakshmi Nagaraju, MD, Basim I. Asmar, MD, and Sanjeev Aggarwal, MD. Abiotrophia Endocarditis in Children with No Underlying Heart Disease: A Rare but a Virulent Organism. Congenital Heart Disease. 2013 May 20. Epub ahead of print. PMID:23682722
- McGrath EJ, R. Thomas, B. Asmar, M. R. Fairfax, P. Lephart, J. Ameli, N. Abdel-Haq, H. Salimnia. Detection of Respiratory Co-Infections in Pediatric Patients Using a Small Volume Polymerase Chain Reaction Array Respiratory Panel: More Evidence for Combined Droplet and Contact Isolation. American Journal of Infection Control, 2013 Oct;41(10):868-73. PMID:23510664
- Abdel-Haq N, Quezada M and Asmar BI. Retropharyngeal Abscess in Children: The Rising Incidence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012 Jul; 31(7):696-9. PMID:22481424
- Rafee Y, Abdel-Haq N, Asmar B, Salimnia T, Celine V, Rybak MJ and Amjad M. Increased prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in household contacts of children with community acquired disease. BMC Infect Dis 2012 Feb 20;12:45. PMID:22348549
- Salimnia H, Lephart PR, Asmar BI, Prebelich D, Paulson E, Fairfax MR. Aerosolized Vaccine as An Unexpected Source of False-Positive Bordetella pertussis PCR Results Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2012 Feb;50(2):472-4. PMID:22162551
- Koken JA, Naar-King S, Umasa S, Parsons JT, Saengcharnchai P, Phanuphak P, Rongkavilit C. A cross-cultural three step process model for assessing motivational interviewing treatment fidelity in Thailand. Health Education & Behavior. 2012; 39: 574-582.