Community-acquired musculoskeletal infections are on the rise, throughout the United States. To ensure that patients are receiving the best treatment for their infections, researchers in the department of orthopedic surgery at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan are evaluating the treatment course of patients with musculoskeletal infections. http://www.regardinghealth.com/CHM/RHO/2010/02/Article.aspx?bmkEMC=58113
Young athletes sometimes ignore warning signs of potential injuries. Researchers and physicians in the department are working to identify warning signs of baseball throwing injuries. Identification of these injury predictors could lead to improved techniques and training, and potentially prevent the injury
Pediatric Sports Medicine Specialist Studies New Technique for ACL Surgery in Young Athletes
Selected Recent Publications
1. Aminian A, Mahar A,Yassir W, Newton P, Wenger D. Freedom of acetabular fragment rotation following three surgical techniques for correction of congenital deformities of the hip. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005;25(1):10-3.
2. Knapp DR, Jr., Jones ET, Blanco JS, Flynn JC, Price CT. Allograft bone in spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005;18 Suppl:S73-6.
3. Yassir W, Mahar A, Aminian A, Newton P, Wenger D. A comparison of the fixation stability of multiple screw constructs for two types of pelvic osteotomies. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005;25(1):14-7.
4. Jenkins MD, Jones DL, Billings AA, Ackerman ES, France JC, Jones ET. Early weight bearing after complete tibial shaft fractures in children. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2009.
Selected Recent Presentations
1. Tibial Shaft Fractures in Children:Immediate Weight Bearing. Jenkins MD, Jones DL, Billings AA, Ackerman ES, France JC, Jones ET. AAOS February 23, 2005, Washington, DC.
2. Adolescent lateral entry femoral nails for treatment of pediatric femur fractures. A comparison with titanium elastic nails. Legakis JE, Thomas R, Slongo TF, Hunter JB, Clavert J-M. AO North America, Nov 11-14, 2010, Phoenix Arizona; Podium Presentation.
3. Ultrasound evaluation of ulnar nerve anatomy in the pediatric population. Khalil JG, Erez O, Legakis JE, Tweedie J, Kaminski E. 7th Annual International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium, Dec 1-4, 2010, Orlando Florida; Poster Presentation.