Accessibility Statement

We are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience. To do so, we are actively working with consultants to update the website by increasing its accessibility and usability by persons who use assistive technologies such as automated tools, keyboard-only navigation, and screen readers.

We are working to have the website conform to the relevant standards of the Section 508 Web Accessibility Standards developed by the United States Access Board, as well as the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1. These standards and guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities. We believe that conformance with these standards and guidelines will help make the website more user friendly for all people.

Our efforts are ongoing. While we strive to have the website adhere to these guidelines and standards, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. If, at any time, you have specific questions or concerns about the accessibility of any particular webpage, please contact so that we may be of assistance.

Thank you. We hope you enjoy using our website.

Skip to Main Content

Ketogenic Diet

For certain pediatric epilepsies like Doose syndrome or myoclonia-astatic epilepsy, dietary treatment of medically uncontrolled seizures can be the first line of treatment. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan Division of Pediatric Neurology offers a variety of dietary treatment options for pediatric epilepsy. Each diet type is carefully selected in consultation with the patient’s family and physician and instruction and monitoring is provided by the registered dietitian. The “Keto Team” at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan includes the Pediatric Neurologist, Nurse Practitioner, and Registered Dietitian.

The “classic” Ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that has been used to treat medically uncontrolled seizures for over 100 years. The team at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan has been using this diet to help children for about 20 years. The classic Ketogenic diet is the strictest version of the diet, requiring food to be weighed on a gram scale. The child is encouraged to eat all of the food provided at a meal or snack and nothing else. This diet is also the most researched, with hundred’s of scientific studies demonstrating seizure reduction. On average, 1/3 of patients see a >90% reduction in seizures, 1/3 see a 50-90% reduction, and 1/3 see <50%. The diet has been shown to be potentially effective with any types of seizure.

Other dietary treatment options available at Children’s Hospital of Michigan include: the Modified Atkins Diet (MAD), which monitors the amount of carbohydrates per day and encourages fat intake, and the Low Glycemic Index diet (LGI), which limits carbohydrates to those low in glycemic index foods.

If you think you are interested in a classic Ketogenic, MAD, or LGI diet for your child, please discuss this with your Neurologist and Nurse Practitioner. Next, schedule an appointment with the registered dietitian to discuss your treatment options. If your child is started on a therapeutic diet, regular follow-up appointments will be made with the dietitian.

Find a Pediatric Epilepsy Specialist

Need a doctor for your child's care?