Group Volunteer Projects
Requests for community group visits must be reviewed and approved in advance by the Child Life Services department.
Everyone in the group must be at least 18 years or older.
Groups will be limited to 4 members or less.
Visits can be scheduled for Monday through Friday only.
Groups are generally invited to visit patients in our lobby, activity centers and outpatient clinic areas depending on the activity.
For privacy, confidentiality, infection control and general overall safety/security reasons, no patient room visits will be permitted.
For further information, please contact our Child Life Project Specialist at (313) 745-5364.
Some things that you could do:
Toys collected from one of the events below could help stock our toy shelves.
- Host a Birthday Party, with gifts going to the DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan gift shelves
- Facilitate a Bike-a-thon, entry fee is a new, unwrapped toy
- Coordinate a Casual Clothes Day, entry fee is a package of new white socks
- Have a Tea Party, fee is five Match Box cars
- Host an All Night Party or Wear a Hat Day, admission is a toy, book or clothing
Some things that you could collect:
These items are very popular with our children! All items must be new.
- Match Box Cars
- Crayola Crayons/Colored Pencils
- Mini Bubble Bottles
- "I Spy" books
- Personal CD players
- Card Games, all types
- Infant toys/Rattles
- School supplies
- Word search books
- Children's books
- Recently released family friendly DVDs
- Small craft kits (individual packs)
- Sudoko books
For more ideas, check the "Toy Check List" here.
Collect New Clothing for our Clothes Closet
We service the entire hospital with casual clothing for children, teens and parents from our Clothes Closet.
Items that we could use:
- Clothing donations should be new, in-season clothing.
- Toiletries in travel sizes: shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, tooth brushed, large tooth combs, hair gel, bandanas
We can use:
- New underwear all sizes from toddler to adult
- New socks of all sizes from toddler to adult
- Sweat shirts and sweat pants in all sizes up to 3XXX
- Winter outerwear, coats, gloves, and hats
- Infant clothing and items like bibs, receiving blankets and small soft toys
Please call the volunteer office at (313) 745-1010 if you have questions about the donation.
Knitting, Crocheting and Stitching
Our families love these hand made items!
- Knitted and crocheted blankets should be at least 40'' x 40'' for babies and young children
- Blankets for older children should be 40'' x 60''
- Fleece blankets should be made with a yard and a half of fabric
Please call the volunteer office at (313) 745-1010 or email us at [email protected] if you have questions about the donation.