Child Life Intern Job Description
Prior to start date attend “Hands In” employee orientation
During weeks 1 & 2 the Child Life intern(s) will:
- Complete Child Life department orientation
- Become familiar with applicable policies and procedures
- Attend child life in-services
- Spend time in each of the three activity centers
- Be introduced to patient populations and observe Child Life Services in some of the following areas:
- 5 East – Burn/Surgery and Rehab Unit
- 5 West – Neurosurgery/Neurology/Endocrinology/Pulmonary Unit
- 6 East – Infectious Disease/Medical Surgical Unit
- 6 West – Hematology/Oncology/BMT/Nephrology Unit
- Cardiology and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Same Day Surgery
- Emergency Department
- Urology Clinic
- Hematology/Oncology Clinic
- Pediatric Surgery Clinic
Child Life interns are expected to:
- Work five (5), 8-hour days per week, usually Monday – Friday. Some weekends, evenings, and 12-hour shifts may be required.
- Train in two areas, each six weeks in length. Schedule may need to be adjusted to meet unit needs.
- Provide Child Life Services independently to one unit of choice during weeks 15 & 16.
- Observe and participate in a multidisciplinary team approach.
- Observe and participate in patient and family-centered care.
- Complete ACLP evaluation with rotation supervisor by the end of each rotation.
- Establish goals to be accomplished by the end of the internship and each rotation.
- Daily Tasks:
- Complete documentation for patients with sign-off from a CCLS daily.
- Maintain daily statistics.
- Weekly Tasks:
- Participate in child life staff meetings.
- Participate in weekly individual supervision meetings with supervisor and child life senior.
- Attend additional internship in-services.
- Participate in unit rounds/report.
- Maintain a weekly journal.
- Complete weekly diagnosis reports