Children’s Hospital of Michigan Injury Prevention Online Workshop
The Children’s Hospital of Michigan’s Injury Prevention Program provides safety information, devices and materials to keep children safe. The Injury Prevention Online Workshop focuses on the leading causes of unintentional and preventable injuries to children.
The Injury Prevention Program will serve families in the Metro Detroit area (Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties) to provide educational services to caregivers and community professionals to enhance their knowledge of the behavioral modifications necessary to prevent tragedies. Each safety topic includes free educational safety materials to help ensure children will be safe.
- Child Passenger Safety - A high rate of misuse and nonuse of car seats is frequently observed in the Detroit area. Properly used car/booster seats reduce the incidence of severe injuries and deaths in infants and children. CHM-IP focuses on occupant protection for children under age 8 or 57 inches. Car/booster seats are available for families in need and complete all online workshop requirements.
- Convertible car seats are provided for infants over 5 pounds and 19 inches
- Harness car seats for forward facing children
- Booster seats for children less than 57 inches
- One car/booster seat per child, all car/booster seats are selected by a certified child passenger safety technician. Children’s Hospital of Michigan’s Injury Prevention does not provide infant car seats with a carrying handle or car seats for babies less than 5 pounds.
- Fire Prevention - Children under 8 are at greatest risk of death and injury due to home fires, properly working smoke alarms and being prepared can prevent these tragedies.
- Educational information is provided on the importance of having working smoke alarms, developing and practicing a fire escape plan. Smoke alarms and other devices are available to registered families.
- Burn Safety – According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), every day, more than 300 children ages 0 to 19 are treated in emergency rooms for burn-related injuries and two children die as a result of being burned. However, these emotionally and physically damaging injuries can be prevented.
- Educational safety materials on how to prevent burns in your home. Educational materials, anti-scald devices are available to registered families.
- Additional safety information/devices available:
- Gun Safety
- Animal Safety
- Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- Infant Safe Sleep Program
- Detroit Health Department, call 313-961-BABY (2229) to register
- Trauma Center
- Burn Center
Children’s Hospital of Michigan Injury Prevention Online Workshop is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
HOW DOES THIS PROGRAM WORK?
Children’s Hospital of Michigan’s Injury Prevention Program offers an Online Safety Workshop requires all participants to:
Caregivers submit online request (below)
- Learn Online – Caregivers will receive an email, with registration requirements and the online earning website link(s)– video(s) are required to watch. Accurate child information, NO car seat will be provided without ALL child(ren) information.
- Make Appointment - Caregivers will select their appointment time (on a pre-determined date) to come and pick-up all safety materials and/or equipment through a contactless, pick-up event.
- Caregivers will receive a confirmation email, with address and a detailed map of Pick-Up location in the Mid-town Detroit area.
- Show up - Arrive at your scheduled pick-up day & time, STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE, staff will greet and load all safety materials and equipment. - It's that easy
Please note: Scheduling an appointment ends the WEDNESDAY before the next “Pick Up” day. Caregivers will only receive ONE of each type of safety equipment (car seat/per child, tub tester, smoke alarm, etc). Also, caregivers that have attended any Children’s Hospital of Michigan Online Workshop in the past two years are NOT eligible.
If you are a community agency working with families with children from birth to eight years old and would like to learn more about our program, please email Injury Prevention at: chmSAFETY@dmc.org.
Other Available Resources:
- United Way for Southeastern Michigan: Call 2-1-1
- City of Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion
Referral Hotline: 313-961-BABY(2229)
This program is made possible by Kohl’s Cares and the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Foundation
Infant Safe Sleep Resource (FREE Pack n’ Play) - If you are a Detroit resident, who is expecting or the caregiver of an infant, and you need a safe sleeping environment for your baby, The Detroit Health Department can help! Call 313-961-BABY (2229) or 313 -410-5264 to learn more.